Appointing the Lt Generaral Bipin Rawat has been in controversy since this appointment supersedes the two senior army officers. But there can be no argument in civilian government choosing a military chief and that is the essence civilian-military relation in the democracy. But will this decision have an effect on that relation
- By this decision government is not ready to appoint army chief based on seniority but the merit and currently prevailing security situation.
- In the army as well , criteria of seniority will not be taken granted to become chief there by improving their portfolio to become chief
- There is no process and criteria to be followed in appointing the chief. Sometimes appointment by the govt of the day can be seen as arbitrary,favoritism and parochialism
- There might be chance that multiple contenders might cause for political patronage
- Formalizing and institutionalizing the process of selection will remove the arbitrary decisions and shield the political interference in the army
- It will also instill the sense of fairness in awarding the merit
Though there are no rules or law in appointing , without an alternative to seniority there is danger of disturbing the delicate civilian -military relations. India has a good track record maintaining this relation and everyone’s hope is to continue the same.