Recently ‘Kafala’ system is abolished in Qatar which is anticipated from long time. ‘Kafala’ system is where the foreign workers in Qatar need sponsor in the form an individual or a company to switch or quit the job or to leave the country.
Why it is significant:
- The kafala system is considered as modern slavery. Abolishing it would give free movement of the labour within the country.
- One can shift the job if the employer is abusing them which is not available previously
- Better wages might be provided for the workers with competition for the workers among employers
- The exit visa formally needed to leave the country is abolished. But still the employer permission is needed.
- This move help in preventing the exploitation and forced labour in Qatar
- This will enable the workers to go for legal recourse in case of breach of work contract by their employer without any fear of cancelling their visas by their sponsors/employers
- This might attract more foreign workers which might not find jobs at their home land
Qatar has taken a progressive towards free labour movement still a lot need to be done for the improvement quality of life of labour working in the gulf countries.