The process of degrading biological or organic matter into Biogas and manure is called Biomethanation . It can be a better solid waste management method since in our municipalities 50% of the waste is biodegradable. We can solve the half of the solid waste problem by this method by having other benefits
Why it is can be better:
- Less space: By compared with the landfills, this method requires very less land for the plants and this can be reused again and again until the plant if functional
- Environment Friendly: When the biodegradable waste is degraded methane is produced which can be used as household fuel and can also be used to generate the electricity
- Relatively Less cost of operating : Though it cost to set the plant initially, this can be offset be savings on transportation and collection cost of the waste.
- Alternative Fuel: By producing the bio gas at higher standards using anaerobic conditions , this fuel can replace the other fossil fuels like LPG and CNG
- Methane is one of the four gases that causes the global warming and will have its consequences if leaked from the bio gas plant
- Initial setting up cost is high
- Continuous maintenance is required
- Segregating the solid waste at source is a big challenge in our municipalities
By implementing the biomethanation process for solid waste management , we effectively tackle half of the problem . By increasing the awareness and incentivize the setting up the bio gas plants government can boost the biomethanation process.