Zika virus has brought the world to its knees when there were 2,300 cases of confirmed microcephaly in 2015 with non availability of vaccines to the virus . WHO has declared zika virus a public health emergency on feb 1. With reduced incidents of reports now WHO decided that Zika virus will no longer be a public health emergency.
In this light we can not say that WHO and other governments will shift their focus from Zika to other diseases.This is because
- There are no definite vaccines available still now to cure the Zika virus infection
- Though it established link between Zika Virus and Microcephaly ,there is a need to continue the research on the Zika virus and its other effects on the humans and to develop a a effective vaccine
- Zika virus has spread to almost 65 countries and it is not know when it will rage again.
- There are no effective methods to contain the spread of the Zika virus
- Above all, Zika virus poses a great danger to the future generations as present born babies will have reduced head sizes thus have the effect on mental capabilities of children and it will become a burden to society
Though WHO declared Zika as not a public health emergency, It said “it is not downgrading the importance of Zika” and ” the response is here to stay”. This will remain true for governments as well.