Zonal councils are created by the parliament law State Reorganisation Act 1956.
Originally there are 5 zonal councils.
- J&K,Punjab,Himachalpradesh,haryana,Rajasthan,NCR Delhi,UT of Chandigarh
- Karnataka,Andrapradesh,Telangana,Kerala,Tamilnadu,UT of puduchery
- Gujarat,Maharashtra,Goa,UT of diu and daman,dadra nagar haveli
- Bihar, Jharjkhand, orissa,West Bengal, Sikkim
North Eastern council was set up in 1971 to deal with the problems of 7 North Eastern states.It was set up under North Eastern Council Act 1972.
Objectives of the Zonal councils:
- To encourage and foster the emotional integration of the country
- To discourage the growth of regionalism and linguistic chauvinism
- To foster the creation of strong blocks of states
- To foster the cooperation between states and center
- To foster the cooperation among the state
- To foster and encourage the political and economical equilibrium of the sates